The past few years have been busy ones for researchers. Racing to reveal the mechanisms of Multiple Sclerosis, disease theorists have put forth imaginative, thought-provoking, and sometimes contradictory statements.
Let us review:
1. Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune and neurological disease of the CNS.
2. It is not an autoimmune disease, it is a vascular disease.
a. CCSVI: Restricted veins in the neck prevent blood from draining properly, leaving iron deposits and causing myelin and nerve cell damage in the brain.
b. Faulty lipid metabolism: Not every MSer has CCSVI, so it’s not that. Rather, it is a condition akin to clogged coronary arteries and atherosclerosis. Plaques form in the brain and spinal cord from oxidized LDL.(See: http://www.news-medical.net/news/20111223/Faulty-lipid-metabolism-may-cause-MS-says-forensic-anthropologist.aspx
3. Toxicity from heavy metal deposits, mercury being the worst offender. Remove amalgam fillings and detoxify your entire body. Since trace metals are found in everything, think “bubble boy.”
4. Smoking. If you have ever smoked, your risk for MS increases considerably. However, quitting smoking has not been proven to affect your disease course. So if you are or have ever been a smoker, it’s too late. This study only serves to shame you.
5. Vitamin D deficiency. Get some sun and take a daily D3 supplement of 1000 or 2000 or 4000 or 10,000 IUs depending upon which study you read.
6. It is a virus (not to be confused with being triggered by a virus).(I know I read this somewhere but can no longer find the article)
a. No, it is caused by herpes virus 6, a.k.a. Epstein-Barr.
b. No, it is triggered by herpes virus 6 and any number of other viruses including the common cold.
7. You are eating too much fat (see 2b above). Go on the Swank diet. Take a statin to reduce your LDL.
a. Statins have been shown to inhibit demyelination in mice and provide neuroprotection and neuro repair.
b. Statins have been shown to inhibit remyelination in mice, having an overall “deleterious” effect on myelin repair in EAE animal models.
8. You need more fat, notably Omega-3 fatty acids, which the body cannot produce on its own. Take generous amounts of evening primrose oil and fish oils.
9. Stress. If you have a life and it is unbearable, do yoga and don’t talk to your mother-in-law. If you don’t have a life and that bothers you, then get one.
One theory that bears mentioning and that has been on the books since time immemorial:
The proposition that we, as sinners, are being punished for displeasing the deity of our respective cultures. I excluded it from the list because it is not a product of scientific research—yet.
And so, my friends, if there is a theory near and dear to your heart that is not on the list, feel free to add it along with your thoughts.